Skip Navigation

This table is used for column layout.
Village Resources
        Add/Remove/Update Your Contact Information
Police - FAQ
Your question is not here? Please let us know

How can I report narcotics activity in my neighborhood?
There are several ways to report narcotics activity in your neighborhood. Call the 6th Pct. at 516-573-6600. In emergencies call 911.

How can I report a hate crime?
Hate crimes are very serious and traumatic incidents. It is important for citizens to remember that when these crimes are occurring, they should be reported to the police immediately by telephoning 911. When a citizen finds that he or she has been a victim of a hate crime and it is not an immediate life-threatening emergency, he or she should phone the police department at 516-573-6600 and report the crime.

How can I obtain a restraining order?
If a restraining order or temporary Restraining Order (TRO) is needed quickly, contact the police through 911 or at the 6th Pct. at 516-537-6600. Otherwise, you may contact the County Family Court.

What can I do about annoying or threatening phone calls?
If you become a victim of annoying phone calls, you should report them to the police department. Your phone company may be able to assist in tracking the origin of the calls if they have a police report number. If you become a victim of threatening phone calls, report them to your local police department immediately. Law enforcement takes threatening calls seriously, and so should you, especially if you are in a battering relationship or have been the victim of domestic violence.

How do I report a Missing Person?
You may initiate a Missing Persons Report by contacting the police department at 516-537-6600. Once you suspect that a person is missing, the police should be notified immediately. The Police encourage all parents to obtain Child Identification cards for their children. Child ID cards provide immeasurable assistance to law enforcement and parents in times of crisis when a child is lost or missing. The information contained on the Child ID cards allow officers to forward that information in the form of a statewide Amber Alert, which instantly notifies law enforcement of missing children. Child ID events are held several times each year. Watch your local newspapers and billboards for dates, or call the Police Headquarters at 516-577-7000 to find out when the next Child ID event is being held.

What can I do about "identity theft"?
If you become the victim of identity theft, it is important to act immediately to stop the thief’s further use of your identity.

Immediately contact all your credit card issuers. Get replacement cards with new account numbers. Ask that the old accounts be processed as "account closed at consumer’s request." (This is better than "card lost or stolen," because when this statement is reported to credit bureaus, it can be interpreted as blaming you for the loss.)

Call the fraud units of the three credit reporting companies: Equifax, Experian and Trans Union. Report the theft of your credit cards and/or numbers. Ask that your accounts be flagged. Also, add a victim's statement to your report such as, "My ID has been used to apply for credit fraudulently. Contact me at XXX-XXX-XXXX (your phone number) to verify all applications." Notify your bank(s) of the theft. Cancel your checking and savings accounts and obtain new account numbers. Ask the bank to issue you a secret password that must be used in every transaction. Put stop payments on any outstanding checks that you are unsure of.

If you use the ATM card for banking services, get a new card, account number, and password. Do not use your old password. When creating a password, avoid such commonly used numbers as the last four digits of your Social Security number and your birth date.

If you have had checks stolen or bank accounts set up fraudulently, report it to Telecheck and National Processing Company (NPC). These check guarantee companies will flag your file so that bogus checks will be turned down. Call Telecheck at 800-366-2425. Call NPC at 800-526-5380.

The Secret Service has jurisdiction over financial fraud cases. This federal government agency usually does not investigate individual cases unless the dollar amount is very high. To interest the Secret Service in your case, ask someone in the fraud department of your credit card companies and/or banks to notify the particular SS agent they work with.

Notify the Social Security Administration’s office of the Inspector General if your SSN has been used fraudulently. You may want to have your SSN changed if your number has become associated with bad checks and credit. CAUTION: This step should be reserved for only the most extreme situations. You must be sure to notify all credit grantors and credit reporting bureaus of your new SSN.

If you have a passport, notify the passport office to be on the look out for anyone ordering a new passport fraudulently. Call your telephone, electrical, gas and water utilities. Alert them to the possibility that someone may attempt to open new service using your identification. Also contact your long distance company.

The nearest office of the Consumer Credit Counseling Service might be able to help you remove fraudulent claims from your credit report. Call 800-388-2227. In dealing with the authorities and financial institutions, keep a log of all conversations, including dates and names. Send correspondence by certified mail. Keep copies of all letters and documents. Provide your police report number to expedite reporting the crime.

Consider seeking legal counsel, especially if you have difficulty clearing up your credit history, or your case is complex and involves a lot of money. An attorney can help you recover from the fraud and determine whether your rights under various credit banking, SSN, and other laws have been violated.

Pay attention to your own mental health. Victims of identity theft report that they often feel they are somehow to blame. They can also feel violated, even powerless, due in large part to the fact that few, if any, of the authorities who have been notified of the crime step forward to help the victim. Discuss your situation with a trusted friend or counselor. Seek help from a victims’ rights organization.

Credit Reporting Bureaus Equifax Copy of Report: P.O. Box 740241 Atlanta, Georgia 30374-0241 Dispute Report: P.O. Box 740256 Atlanta, Georgia 30374-0256 Order Credit Report:800-685-1111 Opt Out of Marketing Lists:800-219-1251 Report Fraud:800-525-6285 Trans Union Copy of Report: P.O. Box 7000 North Olmstead, OH 44070 Dispute Report: P.O. Box 403 Springfield, PA 19064 Order Credit Report:800-851-2674 Opt Out of Marketing Lists:800-241-2858 Report Fraud:800-680-7289 Experian Copy of Report: Dispute Report: Experian National Consumer Assistance Center P.O. Box 2104 Allen, TX 75013-2104 Order Credit Report:888-397-3742 Opt Out of Marketing Lists:800-353-0809

Remember, if you have been denied credit, you are entitled to a free credit report. To remove your name from mailing lists (Direct Marketing Association), contact Mail Preference Service, P.O. Box 9008, Farmingdale, NY 11735 and Telephone Preference Service, P.O. Box 9015, Farmingdale, NY 11735.

To report fraudulent use of your checks, call your bank, Telecheck (800-366-2425) or National Processing Company (NPC) 800-526-5380.

I was a victim of a crime and reported it. What happens next?
Follow-up investigations are conducted by the Detective Bureau. Cases are assigned on a priority basis by the Bureau Supervisor. To obtain information about an assigned investigation, victims may call the Detective Bureau at 516-573-7000 and inquire. The Detective Bureau has a crime tip hotline where suspicious or criminal activity can be reported anonymously. All information is strictly confidential. 1-800-244-TIPS

What can I do about suspicious activity in my neighborhood?
There are several ways to report suspicious activity in your neighborhood. The Police Patrol Division is the entity that handles citizen complaints concerning suspicious activity at the street level. Suspicious activity may be reported by contacting the police department at 516-573-660, or 1-877-TIPS Any suspicious activity appearing to be a crime in progress should be reported to 911.

How can I contest traffic or parking citations?
A person who receives a traffic or parking citation in the Village of Roslyn may contest it by contacting the Roslyn Village Court. The court clerk will assign a court date. On the specified date, the person will be able to plead his/her case before a judge. Additional information can be obtained by calling the Roslyn Municipal Court at 516-621-1961

What can I do about barking dogs in my neighborhood?
Although pets can provide much companionship and love, they can also become a nuisance to an entire neighborhood if not cared for properly. All barking dogs or other nuisance complaints are handled by the Township’s Animal Control Office. For further information, please contact the Town of North Hempstead Animal Control Office at 516-944-8220

What are the regulations regarding construction-related noise?
The regulations regarding construction-related noise prohibits a person, between the hours of 6:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m. of the following day, to perform any construction or repair work of any kind. However, there are exceptions to this ordinance. For clarification, contact the Roslyn Building & Zoning Department at 516-621-1961

Didn't find an answer?  Please let us know

1200 Old Northern Blvd. Roslyn, NY 11576
Phone: 516-621-1961 - Fax: 516-621-2171