Skip Navigation

This table is used for column layout.
Village Resources
        Add/Remove/Update Your Contact Information
Code Enforcement Office FAQ

Your question is not here? Please let us know

Do I need a contractor license to perform work on my own home?
No. The law exempts owners and occupants from the registration and licensing requirement. However, you may still need to obtain zoning and construction related permits. All work must meet the State Building Code requirements and local zoning.

Building Permits and Construction Codes
The Village of Roslyn requires building permits for all work that is regulated by the NY State Building and Fire Code. This includes the State Plumbing Code, Fuel Gas Code, Mechanical Code, and Energy Code. Additionally there are local requirements for permits for commercial change of tenancy, work in the historic district, and other special circumstances. Permit Process

Can you recommend a carpenter or home improvement person to me so that I can have some property maintenance or property repairs performed?
No. We cannot recommend anyone to you. However, in some instances we can provide you a list of locally licensed contractors. Plumbers and electricians require licenses. Contractors doing residential work require a Nassau County Home Improvement License issued by Consumer Affairs. You should exercise due diligence and always request references from your contractor.  Nassau County Consumer Affairs

If I make a complaint about a particular property or person does my name or written complaint become public record
In most cases, your identity may be protected under the Freedom of Information Law, however should a matter go to court the information could be divuldged under subpoena or discovery.

Can I make an anonymous complaint?
Yes. You may contact us anonymously but your complaint will not be regarded as “founded” in nature unless it is verified by the Code Enforcement Officer. Our experience suggests to us that anonymous complaints usually are not as credible as regular complaints. We will accept your anonymous report and it will be reviewed on a low priority basis. A file will only be opened if the complaint is independently confirmed by the Code Enforcement Officer. Additionally, if more information is required to conduct an investigation there would be no way to contact you.

My neighbor and I are having a dispute regarding the boundary line of our properties. Who can I call in the village hall to help me?
Boundary disputes are personal legal matters and are not within the jurisdiction of the municipality (Note: Unless a municipal boundary is the subject of the problem). You should consult an attorney or your title company to assist you.

My neighbor’s tree hangs over the fence into my rear yard. I am afraid that a tree limb will fall into my yard and cause damage. Who can I call in town hall to help me? You should consult an attorney as this is a private leg
You should consult an attorney as this is a private legal dispute and the municipality has no control or jurisdiction.

Are all contractors required to obtain a local license from Roslyn?
No. Plumbers require a Roslyn license,and must have their work inspected and approved. Electricians must have a license and have their work inspected and approved. Other trades are required to obtain a license for home improvements from Nassau County Consumer Affairs.

May I request that the contractor show me his license?
Absolutely. You should also request proof of insurance. In the event that your contractor cannot produce a contractor license or proof of insurance please contact the Code Enforcement Office to report the contractor’s name and other information that may be useful for enforcement purposes.

What are the regulations regarding construction related noise
The Village regulations regarding construction-related noise prohibits a person, between the hours of 6:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m. of the following day, to perform any construction or repair work of any kind. However, there are exceptions to this ordinance. For clarification, contact the Roslyn Building & Zoning Department at 516-621-1961

Who do I call about a code violation when the Village Hall is closed?
You may contact the Nassau County Police Department. Frequently, a police officer responding will be enough to address the matter. Should there be serious questions regarding the issue or if the matter is serious enough, the 6th Pct. has emergency contact information for the Village Code Official.

1200 Old Northern Blvd. Roslyn, NY 11576
Phone: 516-621-1961 - Fax: 516-621-2171