PSEG Long Island Is Ready for the Fourth March Nor’easter
Employees work year-round to improve reliability during extreme weather
(Uniondale, NY – March 20, 2018) — PSEG Long Island is closely monitoring and ready for the fourth forecasted nor’easter this month. Rain, snow and sleet are expected later today, turning to all snow Wednesday, possibly into Thursday. In preparation, PSEG Long Island has performed system checks on critical transmission & distribution equipment and logistics checks to ensure the availability of critical materials, fuel and other supplies.
“PSEG Long Island employees and contractors have worked tirelessly during the past three storms to successfully restore power to all customers who experienced outages from the severe weather,” said John O’Connell, vice president of Transmission & Distribution at PSEG Long Island. “Our first priority is always the safety of our customers and our employees. We are monitoring the approaching storm, our emergency preparedness plans are activated and in the event of outages, our crews are ready to begin once again to restore service safely and as quickly as conditions allow.”
Heavy snow and icing on lines and trees and windy conditions can increase the possibility of downed wires and power outages. Snowy roads and poor visibility make drivers more likely to lose control and strike utility poles, which can also cause wires to come down.
A full complement of personnel will be on hand to deal with any outages caused by the severe weather. Contractors, including tree crews, will also be available to assist the utility’s own skilled workforce if necessary.
Be prepared and stay safe during extreme weather:
- To report and receive status updates on an outage Text OUT to PSEGLI (773454) or to report an outage online visit www.psegliny.com
- Follow PSEG Long Island on Facebook and Twitter to report an outage and to get updates before, during and after the storm
- Downed wires should always be considered “live.” Do not approach or drive over a downed line and do not touch anything contacting the wire. To report a downed wire call PSEG Long Island’s 24-hour Electric Service number: 1-800-490-0075
- Visit PSEG Long Island’s outage map to view outage information across Long Island and the Rockaways at https://outagemap.psegliny.com/
- Make sure everyone in the family is prepared and knows what to do if there is an emergency. Visit https://www.psegliny.com/page.cfm/Home/Safety to learn about safety tips from Sesame Street, YouTube safety videos and more.